What is a Urogynecologist?

Urogynecology is a sub-specialty of gynecology and urology. Gynecologists who practice this sub-specialty are urogynecologists. Urogynecologists complete medical school and residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology then specialize in pelvic floor disorders.

Dr. Shashoua developed specialized skills in treatment of urogynecologic conditions including cystocele, rectocele, uterine prolapse, enterocele, urinary incontinence and fecal incontinence over his years of practice at Oakwood Women’s Centre. Dr. Shashoua founded Austin Urogynecology in 2010.

Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery will be administering the first board certification exam in this field in June, 2013. Dr. Shashoua is looking forward to becoming one of the first board certified urogynecologists.

Does this information help you answer the question, “What is a Urogynecologist”? Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Got questions? Need an appointment? We’re here to help!